Dr. Thomas Ressmann, Partner
Thomas is a founding partner at DMR Legal as well as an entrepreneur and therefore always has the economic interests of his clients in focus. He worked in the financing, restructuring and insolvency law team at Hogan Lovells in Munich and Amsterdam from 2013 to 2021. Through his work as a secondee at an internationally operating German bank, he is also familiar with the requirements that legal departments place on their external service providers.
Thomas advises national and international companies on financings, restructurings and insolvency proceedings. One focus of his practice is advising on complex loan financings and financial restructurings, including in crisis situations. He has an extensive track record in real estate finance on both the lender and borrower/sponsor side. In addition, he has advised on acquisition/leveraged financings since the beginning of his career and has advised on all types of financing structures. He is very active in venture debt and venture capital transactions that involve financing matters.
He also advises on German and international insolvency law, including insolvency plan proceedings, the assertion of claims for and against the insolvency estate and distressed M&A.
His clients include companies of all sizes, banks, private equity funds, alternative financiers, real estate companies/funds, asset managers and insolvency administrators. In Amsterdam, he was part of the team that regularly advised the largest private equity firms respective the financing banks on financing matters.
During his practice, Thomas had contact with all interfaces of commercial law, including real estate commercial law, landlord and tenant law, product liability, GTC controls collection of receivables, etc.
He was recognized in the prestigious International Finance Law Review (IFLR) ranking as an “extremely helpful and committed lawyer with excellent technical skills […] always seeking to find a practical solution for every situation.” (IFLR1000, 2017).
Thomas received his doctorate from the University of Munich on a topic related to insolvency criminal law. For his work, he received the 2014 doctoral award from the Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich.
- Korian on a property refinancing of six care homes in Germany
- Group of bondholders on restructuring of the 200m bond issued by R-Logitech
- Group of bondholders on restructuring of the 140m bond issued by Metalcorp Inc.
- roadsurfer on financing aspects of a equity mezzanine financing granted by Raiffeisen Invest Private Equity Gruppe
- Verdane on LBO financing re the acquisition of Lomadox
- Consortium on the development of an online betting platform
- Westbrook on the financing of the Deichtorcenter in Hamburg*
- pbb Deutsche Pfandbriefbank on the senior financing of a complex logistics portfolio in Germany and the Netherlands*
- Czech Republic in dispute with insolvency administrator over ownership of 85 million liters of diesel fuel as part of state commodity reserves*
- German Ministry of Defense in the takeover of the Bundeswehr clothing company*
- Burger King GmbH as the largest franchisee in Germany of Burger King on withdrawal of insolvency petition and renegotiation of franchise agreements*
- Advising Merkur Offshore GmbH on the financing of the purchase from the crisis of its shareholder*
- ERGO on the project financing of the “Schwabinger Tor”*
*worked on in previous units